A legacy contact is someone you choose to look after your account if it’s memorialized. If you add a legacy contact, that person will be able to make decisions about your account once it is memorialized. Your legacy contact can:
- Write a pinned post for your profile (example: to share a final message on your behalf or provide information about a memorial service).
- View posts, even if you had set your privacy to Only Me.
- Decide who can see and who can post tributes, if the memorialized account has an area for tributes.
- Delete tribute posts.
- Change who can see posts that you’re tagged in.
- Remove tags of you that someone else has posted.
- Respond to new friend requests (for example: old friends or family members who weren’t yet on Facebook).
- Update your profile picture and cover photo.
- Request the removal of your account.
- Turn off the requirement to review posts and tags before they appear in the tributes section if you had timeline review turned on.
We may add more capabilities for legacy contacts in the future. Your legacy contact can’t:
- Log into your account.
- Read your messages.
- Remove any of your friends or make new friend requests.
Note: You must be 18 or older to select a legacy contact.